Sunday, July 7, 2013

Into the Deep by Samantha Young - REVIEW







Title: Into the Deep
Author: Samantha Young
Genre: New Adult
Expected release date: August 13, 2013







Book Summary:

Live young. Live hard. Love deep.

Charley Redford was just an ordinary girl until Jake Caplin moved to her small town in Indiana and convinced her she was extraordinary. Almost from day one Jake pulled Charley into the deep and promised he was right there with her. But when a tragic incident darkened Jake’s life he waded out into the shallows and left Charley behind.

Almost four years later Charley thinks she’s moved on. That is until she takes a study year abroad in Edinburgh and bumps into none other than Jake Caplin at a party with his new girlfriend. The bad-boy-turned-good attempts to convince Charley to forgive him, and as her best friend starts spending time with Jake’s, Charley calls a truce, only to find herself tumbling back into a friendship with him.

As they grow closer, the spark between them flares and begins playing havoc with their lives and relationships. When jealousy and longing rear their destructive heads, Charley and Jake struggle to come to grips with what they mean to one another.

And even if they work it out, there is no guarantee Charley will ever trust Jake to lead her back into the deep…

My review:

I finished Into the Deep just over an hour ago and I'm still reeling in all of my emotions. I was ecstatic to get an ARC from Samantha to review because second chance love stories are pretty much my fave at the moment. After reading the description, I was positive I'd adore this story. I had no idea just how much though. Into the Deep covers all of the emotional spectrum. My digital copy is covered in highlighted sections and filled with notes. To say it simply, I fricking LOVED this book.

From the very beginning, this book captures you in its spell. Samantha Young is a phenomenal storyteller. She creates amazingly in-depth characters that you fall in love with. Even those in supporting roles become important to you. Not only did I love Charley and Jake, but everyone - especially Lowe, Claudia, and Beck. She's created a group of people that I feel I know and consider friends. Absolute brilliance.

Now for the breakdown of my feelings about the story. First of all, not only are second chance love stories basically my favorite thing ever but I adore when it's told in flashback style. Of course Young went ahead and did me a solid and used BOTH here. I was sold immediately. Done. There would be no way I could dislike this book. Charley is awesome. What a great character. You can't help but fall a bit in love with her yourself. She doesn't buy into the typical high school drama and BS. She's a true individual. She has her own style, sense of humor and doesn't put up with anyone treating others poorly. She's easily one of my favorite female characters. And then there's Jake... oh wow! I love me a bad boy. And he was renowned for his womanizing ways. But behind that was a super amazing guy. I was smitten. No, I take that back. I'm still smitten. Jake is gorgeous, athletic, protective, sweet and truly everything you'd want in a first love.
So what went wrong and made Charley upset to see him four years later? This is *THE* question that plagues you throughout the entire book. As you flip back and forth from past to present, you cannot stop yourself from falling for Jake. It's impossible. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. He says and does the sweetest things. Their relationship was so adorable. I loved their banter. I loved watching them take baby steps. I loved that he completely and totally fell for an atypical high school girl. The present scenes are hard to read because we have no idea how he broke her. The entire time I was reading those parts, I was nearly screaming in frustration. It's beyond obvious that they belong together. His new girlfriend just felt wrong. And you couldn't help but feel despair over their lost years. All I wanted was for Jake to dump Melissa and get Charley back. That was all. It got to the point of me not even caring what happened in the past. Yep, he won me over as well. There is so much realism in this book and it'll truly grip you. Once you get to the reason they broke up, your heart will break all over again. It was definitely not what I was expecting. Everything about it was devastating and I literally had to put my Nook down to cry. I was so connected to this book and felt like I was alongside them, living these events as they occurred. The ending leaves things open and I'm still worried about the direction things are heading. Jake and Charley still have several issues to work out before they can get their relationship back to what it once was.

I'm going to post a few of my favorite quotes here:

"I love you too, Charley. I've been in love with you since our first date, and every day since I've fallen deeper and deeper for you."

"Do you know how beautiful you are?" Jake muttered, his gaze still hot but adoring. "So beautiful. I used to think there was nothing prettier than looking up at the stars. That feeling I got, like I was part of something bigger than anything I could ever imagine. It's one of my favorite feelings.. and I get it every time I look at you."

Tears shimmered in his beautiful eyes. "We can't be over."


Into the Deep is emotionally jarring. You will feel all of the ups and downs as if they're happening to you. Samantha Young has another best-seller on her hands. If you don't completely fall for this book, you need to check if your heart still beats. Amazing, beautiful, touching, brilliant... I don't have a large enough vocabulary to express how much I enjoyed this one. And I think this may be my favorite work by Samantha yet. I'm looking forward to what's next in the saga. Easily 10+ stars.


You can read the first two chapters here: http://bit.ly/13BU4kK




No comments:

Post a Comment